MAS Chicas – Women Motivated to Achieve Success

At the Boulder Rock Club, our goal is to not only provide you with a great climbing experience with new routes and great community, but we also want to make you a better climber.  We offer several different instructional programs to get you started, but one of the number one questions that we get is, “well, I’m climbing 5.?.  How do I get better?”

One of your options?  Adult Climbing Teams and Training Programs.

For the ladies, Joslynn Corredor, one of our personal trainers, has designed her team, MAS Chicas, or Women Motivated to Achieve Success.  This 6 week training program is specifically built by women for women.  We sat down with Joslynn to break down her course a little bit more for your information!

1.  Tell us a little bit about yourself!

I am originally from Southern California.  I grew up close to the ocean, where I fell in love with surfing and running. I found climbing after my collegiate running career, and was attracted to self-motivation aspect and the great community, similar to both surfing and running. After college I moved to Boulder, Colorado where I fell in love with climbing. My favorite place to climb is Rocky Mountain National Park. I am a strength and conditioning coach and have been training for about 5 years. I have my bachelor’s in exercise science,  CSCS, USA weightlifting level 1, and  Functional Movement Screening certifications.

2.  Why should I do a training program like PMA/MAS Chicas?  What are the benefits?

I would highly recommendMAS for ladies who are wanting to push their grades, get general fitness help, lifting technique, climbing workouts, and get pushed with motivated women that climb a similar grade. There is nothing better than receiving beta from other women! 

3.  What is involved?  How much climbing?  How much lifting?  etc.

Climbing is 75% of the class, the other 25% being warm-up and conditioning. We have a warm up routine at the beginning of every class, before starting to climb. Climbing workouts include: hangboarding, technique refinement, mental training, and Campus Boarding for MAS +.  We then do conditioning involving: lifting technique, core, and antagonist training for injury prevention. The class is two hours long so bring a snack/water because we will be moving most of the time.

4.  What are the minimum requirements?  How strong should I be climbing before I join?

Minimum requirements:

Leading 5.9 TR 5.10- for MAS Chicas course

Leading 5.11- for MAS Chicas+ course


Here’s what others are saying about MAS Chicas:

“I have done 3 sessions of MAS Chicas. Each time I end of the class stronger, more confident, and more prepared to tackle a variety of routes.  I’ve learned many useful conditioning exercises to keep my body healthy and important skills to keep my confidence up when pushing my limits. Joslynn inspires a “try hard” attitude all while providing a safe and fun environment; you can tell she is passionate about what she does. Taking a climbing class with other strong, motivated women is not only inspiring but FUN!! You feel confident to try a move or route even if you think you’ll fail because you know everyone in the class is doing the same thing. We all cheer each other on (maybe too much!) and create new partnerships for climbing and in life. I can’t wait for the next session!” – Audrey Tobin

“I really enjoyed the class, and even did a session of each (MAS and MAS+).  It taught me how to warm up properly before climbing, focus on specific skills, taught me how to project a route, push my limit, and also gave me tools off the wall to increase strength and movements specific to climbing.  Joslynn is a great coach and really wants to see each person succeed.  She meets you where you are at, listens to what you hope to get out of the class, what you want to work on, and helps you achieve any goals you might have.  The classes are in a small group setting which is really nice, allowing you to get one on one coaching and making it a better environment to connect with the other people in the class which has lead to more climbing partners and friends, Yay!” – Courtney Brendel

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

About The Author

Aubrey Wingo
Aubrey Wingo
Level 3 Certified USAC Routesetter and Coach at the Boulder Rock Club.